Uttar Pradesh Legislative Council
Uttar Pradesh was formerly known as North Western Province. The nomenclature was changed to United Provinces of Agra and Oudh in 1902. In 1950 the State was renamed as Uttar Pradesh.
The Legislative Council of this State is the fourth oldest Council of the country. Its history goes back to the establishment of the Legislative Council of North Western Provinces and Oudh on 5 January 1887. The maximum strength of the Council was 9 which was raised to 15 by the Indian Councils Act, 1892. By the Indian Councils Act, 1909, the strength of the Council was increased to 46 of which 20 were official and 26 were non-official members. The Government of India Act, 1919 further increased its strength to 121 consisting of 100 elected and 21 non-elected members.
Under the provisions of the Government of India Act, 1935, a bicameral legislature came into existence in the United Provinces and the Legislative Council consisting of not more than 60 members became the second chamber of the Legislature. The Legislative Council was made a permanent body, not subject to dissolution. The term of individual member was 9 years, while one third of the members retired every third year.
With the adoption of the Constitution of India on 26 January 1950, the total membership of the Legislative Council was raised from 60 to 72. The composition and purpose of the Legislative Council also changed after 1952, when it was reconstituted according to the provisions of the Constitution of India with some kind of functional representation was provided for in its composition. With the Constitution (Seventh Amendment) Act 1956, the strength of the Council was raised to 108. After the reorganisation of Uttar Pradesh in November 2000 and the creation of Uttaranchal, this strength has reduced to 100. The Legislative Council is a permanent House. Members are elected/nominated for six years and one-third of them retire every second year.